A Day in the Life

The Adventures of Nora and Josie (and their parents)

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Styling Do's

Nora has one chunk of hair in the front that's so long that when it's hanging straight down it's past her nose! Needless to say, this gets in her eyes a lot. My latest solution is these cute felt barrettes! They're so easy and quick to make (and they actually stay in her superfine hair), I see a lot more of them in her hairstyling future. Who doesn't need a barrette to match every outfit?!



3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Carpenter said...

Beautiful barrettes! How did you make them?

3/1/07 22:28  
Blogger sarah said...

Amy, I used some snap barrettes like these: http://www.goody.com/Products/Accessories/Barrettes/Girls/Girls.aspx (but mine aren't StayPut ones, they're just little ones I had around from when I used to have shorter hair. I had tried them in Nora's hair before, but they fell out because her hair's so fine. So I made little paper patterns of the shapes I wanted, cut out two of the main shape, did any details I wanted on the top one (the center of the flower, a tiny eye embroidered on the dove), and cut a little slit in the bottom one for the bottom part of the barrette to slide through. Then I put the peices of felt together so the main body of the barrette is inside, put a dot of white glue on the end of the barrette to keep it from sliding around inside the felt, and stitched the two peices of felt together around the edges. Each one took a lot less time to do than it did to write all this out... Very simple. I was inspired by other mamas who had made barrettes inspired by the www.giddygiddy.com barrettes, but I've never actually seen those in person so I don't know if this is how she makes them or not. Super easy - you should make some for Cat!

3/1/07 22:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madeline just rips her cute little barrettes out! Makes me sad.

5/1/07 09:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home